You read it everywhere, “Major corporation hacked, could lose millions”. It’s a scary thought, what if this happens to my company or me as an individual? If it happens to a bigger corporation, how can I be safe? Well thankfully there are some ways that you are able to catch these phishing scams. Here are 6 Ways Your Agency Can Avoid Phishing Attempts.
1. Users should always take a close look at the sender’s display name when checking the legitimacy of an email.
If a display name looks different than one you have received from a company beforehand, that should be identified.
2. Be wary of individuals or organizations that ask for personal information.
Companies should not be asking you personal information over an email. If they do, call the company personally to make sure it is them before going any further.
3. Do not click links or download files even if they come from what appear to be trustworthy sources.
A blog post from Trend Micro reads, “If it seems suspicious, it probably is. Users should always err on the side of caution when it comes to sending out personally identifiable information through messages and emails.”
4. Be on the lookout for emails with grammatical or spelling errors, as well as messages that seem generic.
The FBI advises that organizations “create a security system that flags e-mails with similar — but incorrect — formatting. Proofpoint Essentials is one security system that can handle this type of threat.
5. Avoid being pressured into providing sensitive information.
Again, no one should be providing this type of information and if you are still unsure, talk to the company personally because it has a high chance of being a scam.
6. Ensure that your firewalls, virus software, and spam filters are robust and up-to-date.
Possibly the most important tip here. Always keep up-to-date with all your softwares to make sure nothing gets through.
All of these reasons may seem simple but if looked over, they can be detrimental to a company or individual. Systems like Proofpoint Essentials have fantastic email security and can stop email threats before they happen. Talk to Iron Cove Solutions to see what we can do for you.